Certificate of Anatomical Acupuncture
(CAA) 100 Study Hours
Successful completion of 100 study hours as described below, plus a written and practical examination, will award participants with the AFCI Certificate of Anatomical Acupuncture, and the “CAFCI” designation.
AA1: Foundations of Anatomical Acupuncture
What You Will Learn:
- Introduction to basic concepts of Anatomical and Classical Acupuncture
- Hazards, complications, precautions for safe needling
- How to locate acupoints using surface anatomy
- Specific needling techniques and practical clinical applications for 24 important acupoints
- Introduction to Classical Acupuncture and meridians
- Case treatment plans and long term management
- Competency: participants may start simple treatment of acute and chronic pain problems (with an emphasis on musculoskeletal pain) within their scopes of practice.
AA2: Clinical Applications in Anatomical Acupuncture
What You Will Learn
- Description/Location/Needling of major points on head, neck, upper limbs, and back, abdomen, and lower limbs.
- Integration of acupoints into treatment of such conditions as facial pain, frozen shoulder, upper extremity pain, tennis/golfer’s elbow, back, hip, knee, ankle and foot pain.
- The use of electroacupuncture for treatment.
- Management of chronic and cancer pain
- Competency: participants will be capable of using acupuncture (needling and electrotherapy) in the management of several more conditions, including: facial pain and headaches, myofascial pain syndrome and neuropathy.
AA3: Advanced Acupuncture for Pain Management in Orthopedic Conditions
What You Will Learn:
- Integration of Anatomical and Classical treatment principles and methods of acupuncture
- An expanded repertoire of acupoints for specific case applications
- Location and needling techniques of advanced acupoints
- Complementary methods to progress healing process
- Skills for enhanced management of orthopedic disorders, such as: Cervical Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries, Sports Injuries, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Shoulder Dysfunctions, Back Pain and Plantar Fasciitis
Competency: Participants will develop a refined ability to use acupuncture to enhance treatment outcomes and decrease treatment time in the management of orthopedic pain syndromes within their scopes of practice.
The DVD, “How to Locate Acupuncture Points” is required for the AA3 course. If you have not taken the new AA1 and AA2 courses you may not have a copy of this DVD. If not, please contact AFCI to purchase a copy prior to the start of your home study.
JLEP: Jing Luo Energetics for Pain
Acupuncture point locations are not taught in this course, and must have been learned through the above prerequisite AFCI courses or other approved training.
What You Will Learn:
- Management of both acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions
- Use of Meridian Energetics for the treatment of pain due to orthopedic and sports injuries
- Extra Meridians: Tendino-muscular meridians, Divergent meridians, Luo channels and the Eight Extraordinary Vessels
- Competency: Integration of advanced Classical approaches for the clinical management of orthopedic pain
- This course will provide valuable insights into the treatment of common orthopedic and sports injuries with acupuncture
PTZFO: Pathology and Treatment of The Zang Fu Organs
This advanced course introduces TCM etiopathology of the Zang-Fu organs, including treatment of system disorders such as respiratory (asthma, rhinitis), GI (chronic diarrhea, constipation, colitis, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel), and GU (PMS, dysmenorrhea, impotence, infertility, urinary incontinence).
Participants will be capable of using the TCM paradigm for the treatment of internal medicine disorders.
BSFD: Bi Syndromes and Febrile Diseases
This advanced course introduces the six Meridian Levels and their syndromes, the Four Stages and the Triple Warmer Syndrome. The Bi Syndromes and their treatment using the Five Shu points are presented
extensively. Participants will be capable of treating painful inflammatory rheumatic arthritic disorders.